Gps and Google Earth

ever since i can remember first reading about gps driving systems and mapping systems and geocaching i have been craving one badly... but now i have found someones cooler than god solution for a do it yourself gps solution that is totally configurable solution..

GPS & Google Earth Solution - Cost-effective GPS mapping in real time

I have been doing a lot of exploring and surveying in the desert recently, and have been trying to find the right GPS mapping solution. The solution I found incorporated stuff I already had (laptop and GPS) with the help of some excellent, nearly free software. The best part is that it works even better than the $900 in-car GPS solutions as it uses always up-to-date satellite data, and is easily sharable.

Basically you run Google Earth and use some great donation-ware to link it in real time to a GPS. This means that your mapping software and maps worldwide are not only free, but you also get hi-res satellite views and in some cases 3D buildings (in downtown areas). Only a year or so ago this would have cost tens of thousands of dollars in proprietary GPS mapping gear; it would be difficult to share it once done; each map and satellite shot would cost extra; and it would have been an ordeal to get it all loaded up and working properly for each area you wanted to go.

Posted on March 13, 2007 at 05:00 AM -- Alexander Rose from Cool Tools

Its Amazing! I have love google earth and this is an affordable solution and an elegant way to get the kind of sdvanced gps mapping and driving solution that I would kill to own... its almost within my reach... if anyone has a laptop to donate or a gps unit that they bought with the best intentions and just never use, or any equipment that this solution needs *HINT HINT HINT* email me and i will get you my address :) go check out the link Here is is again!

I want to geo-cache so bad I can taste it...

No comments: